Rayless goldenrod toxicity

Attention! This is a potentially life-threatening condition for your horse. Time is of the essence, contact your veterinarian immediately.Find a Vet

Rayless Goldenrod Toxicity

Rayless Goldenrod Poisoning, Goldenrod Poisoning

Rayless goldenrod is toxic to horses if ingested.
Daily consumption of only 1-1.5% of an animal's body weight, for a week or more, usually will cause symptoms of toxicity or death. Poisonings occur most often in late fall through early spring.

Symptoms

Trembling muscles
Shaking
Stiffness
Lethargy
Depression
Constipation
Colic
Rapid and labored breathing
Constant dribbling of urine

Diagnosis

  • History
  • Clinical signs
  • Necropsy

Support

Therapies

TherapiesDetails
Purgatives
Stimulants
Laxative food

Prevention

  • Make yourself aware of the weeds and plant species that can be invasive in pastures and/or poisonous to horses.
  • Take periodic walks around pastures to check for the presence of potentially poisonous plants
  • Check that hay does not contain dried up poisonous plants
  • If you borrow or hire farm machinery ensure it is clean prior to arriving on your property, the same goes for lending of your own equipment.
  • Quarantine new animals in a separate paddock the first 10 days to 2 weeks after arrival. Weed seeds can be passed through an animal's digestive tract.

Scientific Research

General Overviews

Risk Factors

  • Letting horses graze on overgrazed pastures containing rayless goldenrod.
  • Purchasing poor quality hay and/or not looking through hay for possible weed contamination prior to giving to horses.

Switch Animals