Water hemlock toxicity

Attention! This is a potentially life-threatening condition for your horse. Time is of the essence, contact your veterinarian immediately.Find a Vet

Water Hemlock Toxicity

Water Hemlock Poisoning

Water hemlock (Cicuta spp) is one of the most violently toxic poisonous plants known. Consuming as little as 0.5% of their body weight is lethal to an adult horse. Over 20 different species of Cicuta have been identified and found worldwide. Most species are found in North America, with nine common in the U.S. It is most toxic in the spring, during the early stages of its growth, when it is also more difficult to identify. The toxicity of plants is also highly variable on its location, environmental conditions ( moisture, temperature), and time of day.

Toxic components
Water hemlock toxic horses
Cicuta contains cicutoxin, which is a long-chain, highly unsaturated alcohol. It acts very quickly, and early clinical signs of poisoning occur 10 to 15 minutes after ingestion. The toxin affects the central nervous system, with initial signs starting out as excessive salivation, nervousness, stumbling and incoordination, and frothing; quickly leading to intermittent periods of tremors, convulsive seizures, and muscular weakness. The horse usually will die during a period of convulsions, which are extreme and violent.

Symptoms

Dilated pupils
Hyperexcitability
Excessive salivation
Frothing
Ataxia
Laboured breathing
Teeth grinding
Muscle fasciculations
Muscular weakness
Seizures
Convulsions
Death

Diagnosis

  • History
  • Clinical signs
  • Physical exam
  • Laboratory testing

Treatment

Supportive care

Scientific Research

General Overviews

  • water hemlock icon
  • water hemlock icon
  • water hemlock icon
  • water hemlock icon
  • water hemlock icon
  • water hemlock icon

Risk Factors

  • Pasture is adjacent to or provides horse access to streams, creeks, lakes, rivers, ditches, marshes, and/or swampy areas.

Seasonality

WinterSpringSummerAutumn