Attention! This is a potentially life-threatening condition for your horse. Time is of the essence, contact your veterinarian immediately.Find a Vet
White Snakeroot Toxicity
White Snakeroot Poisoning
Ageratina altissima is a woodland herb commonly found in the midwest United States. The plant is toxic if ingested by horses.
- Clinical signs
- Physical exam
|Symptomatic and supportive care|
|Remove horse from source|
- Make yourself aware of the weeds and plant species that can be invasive in pastures and/or poisonous to horses.
- Take periodic walks around pastures to check for the presence of potentially poisonous plants
- Check that hay does not contain dried up poisonous plants
- If you borrow or hire farm machinery ensure it is clean prior to arriving on your property, the same goes for lending of your own equipment.
- Quarantine new animals in a separate paddock the first 10 days to 2 weeks after arrival. Weed seeds can be passed through an animal's digestive tract.
Horse may have long-term cardiac problems