Sagewort (Artemisia frigida) is a low spreading, shrub-like perennial plant which is part of the Asteraceae (Sunflower) family. It is native to Europe, Asia, and parts of North America. In North America, it is found commonly in the Rocky Mountains and Great Plains. It grows in dry and disturbed areas, such as overgrazed pastures.
Sagewort contains sesquiterpene lactones and essential oils or monoterpenes are toxic to horses if ingested. It's toxicity varies depending on several factors such as soil, growing conditions, and season. Most poisonings in horses occur in the fall and winter, when kept in overgrazed pastures with little to eat other then this plant.
Clinical signs exhibited by poisoned horses are similar to those seen in horses who have ingested locoweeds. However, unlike locoweed poisoning, horses with sagewort poisoning tend to recover in 1-2 weeks after they stop eating the sage and are fed a balanced diet.
- Sage Smell To The Breath And Feces
- Unpredictable Behavior
- Circling And Walking Into Objects