Spiked Rice-flower (Pimelea trichostachya) is a semi-woody annual shrub native to western Australia. It has a long history of causing poisoning in livestock living in Australia. Cases of poisoning with this plant are referred to as St. George disease. The onset of clinical signs usually occurs more than three weeks after initial exposure.
All parts of the spiked rice-flower plant contains the toxin simplexin, both fresh or dried.
- Serous Nasal Discharge
- Severe Watery Diarrhea
- Rapid Weight Loss
- Fluid Swellings (subcutaneous Oedema)
- Distended Jugular Veins With A Prominent Pulse
- Pal Mucous Membranes
- Difficulty Breathing
- Reluctance To Move
- Decreased Appetite